Thursday 15 May 2014

Revision progress report

Revision is going apace. The story becomes more dynamic as I cut out on exposition and scatter as much backstory as the books needs all over the place. I like it most of the time. However, I do have occasional moments of doubt and panic when I ask myself who is going to read my novel. It lacks violence, destruction, nudity and multiple deaths that seem to be a requisite for success in the entertainment industry these days, judging by books, TV-shows and films that garner the most readers or viewers. At least, that's the impression that I get when I read about books, TV-shows and films that millions of people are crazy about. I don't know... I often ask myself "Does a book/TV-show/film have to rip your heart out and cause misery to be considered great? Are there people who still want to feel like smiling after reading the book or watching something as opposed to feeling as though they have been punched one too many times and just want to crawl somewhere and die?"

2 comments:

  1. The answer, of course, is yes: there are still many, many people who love to read or watch stories that leave them smiling. :) Just look at authors like Rainbow Rowell and Morgan Matson - don't be disheartened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll try not to:)) I've never heard about these authors before but I'll be sure to check them out now.

      Delete